ATL Skills Playbooks
Skill-based activity ideas to help students become lifelong learners
The ATL skills are interwoven throughout everything that we do in the IB continuum. Teachers are building skills both explicitly and implicitly at every opportunity, but designing meaningful learning experiences aligned with the long list of skill indicators is no easy feat! There are so many options and skill-based activities are not always at the forefront of the planning process.
This set of five ATL skills playbooks is designed to help you target specific skill indicators in your teaching and learning processes. The playbooks collate exciting ideas for skill-based activities that can be aligned with subjects or used independently for homeroom and other learning spaces.
How to use the playbooks
- Each playbook contains printable strategy or activity cards aligned with 50+ skill indicators within the five ATL skill clusters
- Cards are written in student-facing language and also link to templates, worksheets, and graphic organisers students can readily use
- Each card also indicates a learner profile attribute that can potentially be developed through the activity; educators may encourage students to reflect upon the same.
Communication skills playbook helps develop the ability to express one’s ideas clearly and in diverse ways, to listen to multiple perspectives and to collaborate with other individuals effectively.
Research skills playbook helps develop the ability to critically evaluate and effectively use credible information and media.
Social skills playbook helps develop the ability to collaborate with other individuals within a classroom setting and beyond.
Self-management skills playbook helps develop the ability to reflect on one’s own progress and set goals to meet expectations.
Thinking skills playbook helps develop the ability to think critically and creatively, and transfer knowledge across disciplines.
Liked this resource? Here are a few more you might like to explore:
- Your Guide to Approaches to Learning Skills in the MYP
- Introduction to ATL Skills in the MYP (Posters)
- MYP ATL Skills Meet-up