This central question is one that we pursue in all of our choices as educators. Particularly so when we teach student-centred curriculums like the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP). Understanding the MYP with all its nuances can often feel like being rudderless at sea! What if we told you we’re throwing you a line and bringing you ashore? This starter guide to the MYP is designed as a simplified introduction to help educators understand the different elements of the programme. From connections to other IB programmes to fundamentals of MYP unit planning, this guide explores how teaching and learning is organised in the MYP.
The guide features blogs with actionable strategies and downloadable templates that you can use independently or with your teaching teams to discover how the MYP works. We’ve also added bonus reflections and activities which you can undertake as you make your way through the guide, along with classroom tips to help you bring the MYP to life in your classroom!
We designed this guide to be navigated sequentially. That being said, this is your inquiry so feel free to jump around to the sections you find most relevant to your context.Who is this for?
- New teachers looking to dive into the what, why and how of the MYP
- Experienced teachers looking for tools to enhance their teaching practices in the MYP
- MYP co-ordinators and school leaders looking for strategies and resources to support their teams understand and implement the MYP effectively
What questions will we answer?
- What is the MYP?
- How are MYP unit plans designed?
- Why are ATL skills integral to the MYP?
- How are projects implemented in the MYP?