Vygotsky’s saying, “Through others we become ourselves”, speaks to the importance of exemplifying and understanding diverse role models. The IB Learner Profile represents 10 attributes that can help individuals and groups become responsible members of local, national, and global communities. So we thought – what better way to make the learner profile attributes come alive for our students than through trailblazing community members that have made a significant impact on our world!
Our Learner Profile Posters showcase stories of role models who have taken action to bring about positive change. They celebrate the IB mission statement in action and provide classroom communities with tangible ideas for valuing, appreciating, reflecting, and building a shared language around the learner profile.
- Ask students to identify and reason how each trailblazer embodied the evident Approaches to Learning. Eg: “Galileo changed scientific thinking through astronomical exploration shows that he had great critical thinking skills”.
- Encourage students to think about how they are demonstrating two connected attributes. For example, Maria Montessori is Knowledgeably Open-minded.
- Use the posters as a tool for reflecting on local, national, and global challenges that we face in the world.
- Use these posters within school-wide initiatives such as newsletters, school websites, and displays to develop a shared language across the school.
- Make visible opportunities for students to put the learner profile into action through discussions, debates, displays, and more.
- Build opportunities for students to interact with the posters and to add elements to it through post-it notes, drawings, and more.
- Share the posters with parents as a means to develop an understanding of the Learner Profile Attributes.
Liked this resource? Here are a few more you might like to explore: