Like most things in the PYP, the process is more important than the product. The process of co-creating central ideas empowers teaching teams, aligns thinking behind the goals of a unit, and sets the stage for authentic learning transfer across disciplines. We love helping teams bring their ideas to life, so we designed a clear and simple 5 step process for unpacking a unit and designing conceptual, transdisciplinary central ideas! Written by Cindy Blackburn, this ebook provides a step-by-step process any team can use to dive deeper into their unit concepts and facilitate meaningful discussions about a unit of inquiry.
- The role of central ideas in the PYP
- How to use the transdisciplinary theme to identify big ideas and concepts you will address in your unit
- How to root your unit understandings within your subject-specific curriculum
- How to identify connections and concepts that empower transdisciplinary transfer
- How to evaluate and modify a central idea
Liked this resource? Explore our ‘Crafting strong central ideas: An interactive walkthrough‘